12.22.2007

tao

i just finished reading the tao of pooh which is a book about taoism from the perspective of the characters in the winnie-the-pooh books by a.a. milne. i found it pretty interesting, which surprised me, and as a result i have picked up a copy of the tao te ching to read a bit further. i'm glad that i read the tao of pooh first. had i not i would have probably written the whole philosophy of the tao off as some feel-good-hippie-nonsense, but instead i found something that is quite interesting, and at least initially is very relevant to christianity.
this sort of exploration into worlds and 'religions' unknown is pretty unusual for me, but sense something within my body resonates with some of this stuff and i have this 'unusual interest', i have decided to run with it.
i hope to be able to post some detailed observations of taoism in the near future, but for now i will attempt to pique your interest and allay your fears by telling you that so far it sounds a lot like moltmann's theology of hope, as well as a very therapeutic perspective from which to relate to each other and the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read plenty of Lao Tzu in the past and I'm sorry, but I think it is rubbish. Lao Tzu teaches that you can know nothing, have no point of view, believe in nothing, care about nothing besides yourself because the need for possessions and relationships are meaningless. Our reliance on our relationships with our wives, children, parents, and friends are hollow pleasures that ultimately give us nothing. To find contentment we must rely only on ourselves. Ultimately we should not do anything or want anything so that we have no expectations and can never find disappointment. To me this is the opposite of Christianity and the opposite of happiness and fullfilment.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Stu, what's going on man! I have no idea how long it's been since we've talked, but I was just sitting here reminiscing about the old days and thought I'd try to find you...and here you are.

I'd love to catch-up. I don't have your email address, so if you get a chance send one to me: john.critz[at]gmail.com.

Congratulations on your marriage!

Hope to chat soon...